Saturday, July 31, 2010

Jessica Dees: the things they carried

I just finished reading "The things they carried" by Tim O'brian. Initially I thought I would be reading about a soldiers life in the war, and because war stories have always interested me I thought it would be a quick read. I was surprised to find out it was not a story, but something like a jumble of short war stories put together. Nothing really fit together right. The detail of the dead bodies in the book somewhat disturbed me also. When i was done with the first chapter I thought that I made a huge mistake with choosing this book, but after a while it actually started to catch my attention. It was really more interesting than the average book because it was real and people actually went through this stuff. Sometimes I had to stop and think if the part that I had just read was the truth or not becuase Tim O'brian would always contradict himself or say "now if this was true" or "see this story can make this true even if it's not." You just never knew. The characters were also very entertaining, even though most of them went crazy or died. In all it was a very good book that i will always remember and i am glad i read.

1 comment:

  1. Paige Emenheiser in response to Jessica Dees
    I read part of this book last year and I completely get why you thought it was disturbing. It is a very good book and I agree that it is quite disturbing in some parts like when they talk about the dead bodies. The characters in the story are very complex, crazy and mostly obsessive about what they carried with them. I am happy to hear that you chose tho read this book!

    ReplyDelete